Monday 4 May 2009

Doreen

I have in so many times said that I am not impressed by the products most of African especially East African designers come up with. Especially the finished product is always looking frumpy and not well thought of. The best designers in Africa definitely reside in the West and South the stoned cherries and more we see in our catwalks but mostly fabulously by West Africans. They have truly mastered the art of modern Africa.

Today, I am proud to present to you all someone who has impressed me by a very far! Unique and exquisite! Her attention to detail and the finished product has made my mind change about our ability to be just that, Perfect! How I came across her, well one beautiful fashionista had passed by my mum's hair and beauty salon and she had the most beautiful of bags made using a mix of leather and a kitenge (African fabric)! I asked her and she proudly said, "darling, this is a Doreen Mashika." I said I must find this designer, so last week I passed by Kempinski Hotel and was browsing through the shops, and guess what I found. There the bags, the shoes... I couldn't help but just buy the best wedges I have ever worn. Despite the over pricing which is totally worth it! So, as always, not one to keep the best to myself... Ladies today I present to you...

Tanzanian born accessories designer Doreen Mashika. Having worked abroad in the Fashion and luxury goods sector, Doreen’s work boasts the intricate attention to detail during the production process.
She works with African raw materials such as kitenge fabric, stones, maasai and glass beads to create Africanized opulent accessories. The individuality of her style has created a healthy demand for her products which are retailing in Zanzibar, Tanzania and soon in Nairobi.













Just one word, "Beautiful," I must find time to meet this lovely woman who is creating my dream of seeing like these come true.

Source: doreenmashika website

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

correction: stoned cherrie is from south africa

Unknown said...

Thanks for visiting FT,
I appreciate your feedback, I actually meant to write west and South but mostly West.

Do keep visiting FT.

love FT

Anonymous said...

Hello,
I have been following this site for almost a year now, impressed by your take on fashion , your eye for details and sophistication,As a designer turn into retail management(BCBG ,MANGO etc..I cant stop asking myself, lini utafungua retail outlet, hapo DAR, nilikuwa hapo last summer na nina hakika there is a market for your vision,High end,great service and superb decor! what do u think?
Tempting?
By the way this sista Doreen? HAS IT
YES...its all about the finishing touch...
keep in touch
A BROTHA

Unknown said...

Hi A Brotha,
I appreciate you following up my site. I do actually plan to open FT clothing early next year however before that people will be able to buy FT clothing online. So stay tuned.